Tuesday 8 November 2011

Buckwheatsicles

When I was young I used to crave 'Ricicles' - a sugar coated breakfast cereal made from puffed rice. Very occasionally my mother would let me have some. I loved the sugary crunch combined with the creaminess of the gold top milk.

These days I prefer my breakfasts organic, un-pre-packaged, vegan and raw but I still like lots of crunch.

The name 'buckwheat' is abit misleading because it isn't related to wheat at all - nor is it a cereal. It's actually a seed which makes it great for sprouting.      

These buckwheatsicles are delicious for breakfast but to be honest I eat them at any time of the day. I tend to make ½ kilo’s worth at a time to last a while and I keep them in an airtight jar. 
 
Combined with creamy Brazil nut mylk which has been sweetened with Madagascan vanilla and organic medjool dates, this is definitely a breakfast cereal to surpass anything in a packet.
                                                                                                   

Equipment

A dehydrator (I use the Excalibur 9 Tray Dehydrator)

Ingredients

Raw Buckwheat


Method

Sprout the raw buckwheat by soaking it in pure water for 5 hours and then rinse frequently for about 3 days until the buckwheat grows little tails. Make sure you rinse a few times a day because the buckwheat can go slimy. 

Once it has sprouted, dehydrate the buckwheat at 105 degrees for 10 hours until it has lots of crunch. 

Serve with Brazil nut mylk and top with banana for added sweetness.  



No comments:

Post a Comment