Thursday 3 November 2011

A shot of beetroot

I was never that keen on beetroot as a kid but that’s because my only experiences of it were either boiled and sliced into a salad or dredged in vinegar from a jar at Christmas. Raw beetroot has a completely different taste, quite earthy yet also sweet.  For years now I’ve been adding it to my morning juice, but yesterday I decided to break with my tradition and enjoy it on its own.  I was reading in one of Jason Vale's juicing books that beetroot juice is full of iron and can reduce blood pressure. He’s even quoted some scientific studies undertaken at St Barts and other medical schools which demonstrate its effectiveness. I think that’s an added bonus because it tastes really delicious - I made a bottle of fresh juice to return to during the day. 

It's also good mixed with one or more of the following juices, although perhaps not all at the same time.
Carrot, ginger, celery, orange, apple, lemon and grapefruit


No comments:

Post a Comment